Hey guys. Today I’m going to show you how to make a healthy carrot cake using coconut flour. This carrot cake is of course delicious, but it also happens to be gluten-free, clean eating and I’m also including a low-carb option.
Let’s start with the carrot cake ingredient.
We need 1 cup of shredded carrots, which is just about 1 large carrot grated on the large side of your box grater. Also, you can also use the shredding disc of your food processor. After That put the carrots aside and let’s get out a large bowl. To the bowl let’s add the wet ingredients first. We need 4 eggs, 6 tablespoons of maple syrup.
See More: The Yummy Pumpkin Crêpe Cake Recipe
You can also replace the maple syrup with any kind of other liquid sweeteners including sugar-free syrup for a low-carb version. Then add 1/3 cup of coconut oil and 1/4 cup of dairy-free milk of your choice. As for the last wet ingredient 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract and now let’s whisk all these healthy carrot cake ingredients together until they’re well combined.
On top of the wet mixture. Let’s add the dry ingredients. First up 1/2 cup of coconut flour, 1/4 cup of tapioca starch or arrowroot powder, 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. As well as 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg. and Whisk in those dry ingredients to form a smooth batter. Lastly, add in the shredded carrots, and optionally 1/3 cup of toasted walnuts or pecans and 1/3 cup of finely chopped or crushed pineapple. Fill the batter into a parchment-lined square 8-inch baking dish. Now bake the healthy carrot cake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes.
For the healthy carrot cake frosting.
You have several options. You can use whipped coconut cream. Or use half a cup of cream cheese or thick Greek yogurt or a dairy-free Greek yogurt alternative. Add that to a bowl together with 2 tablespoons of maple syrup. And half a teaspoon of vanilla extract. Whisk these three ingredients together until they’re smooth and combined. And the carrot cake frosting is ready.
To make the frosting look a bit fancier, you can make a swirl pattern using a spatula or the back of a spoon. And there we go. Our cake is ready to enjoy. These are a perfect healthier Easter feast, but honestly, we love carrot cake any time of year.
Healthy Gluten-Free Carrot Cake With Low Carb
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup 60 ml dairy-free milk of choice
- 6 tablespoons 125 g maple syrup or sugar-free sweetener of choice
- ¼ cup 30 g tapioca starch or arrowroot powder
- 1/3 cup 70 g coconut oil
- ½ cup 60 g coconut flour
- 1.5 teaspoons 8 g baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup 90 g noised carrots
- 1/3 cup Crushed pineapple optional
- 1/3 cup 35 g chopped walnuts or pecans, optional
- 1/2 cup 115 g softened cream cheese or thick Greek-style (dairy-free) yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons 30 ml maple syrup
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and coat a 9×13 baking pan with copra oil.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, ground cloves, and put aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, copra oil, vanilla, pure syrup, Greek yogurt, and almond milk.
- Add the moisture to the dry and stir until just integrated,
- Fold within the carrots and raisins.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow cooling completely to temperature before frosting.
- To prepare the frosting, stir together the Greek yogurt, pure syrup, and vanilla. Spread on top of the cooled cake.
- Let the Frost set for 1-2 hours before piecing and service.